About AHG | Contact Us
  Home Information & Contacts History & Photo Gallery Be A Sponsor or Volunteer Our Antique Carousel Flower Mart Home
 

 

Our Antique Carousel - a 1890’s wooden traveling carousel
Our century-old carousel, now on the National Register of Historic Places, is a favorite of young and old. Lovingly restored over a 20 year period, each hand-painted animal is a work of art with special significance. Designers and artists of the Nation’s Capital Chapter of the National Society of Decorative Painters plus John Drew, Cathedral’s Master Carpenter, donated their time and talent for the restoration.  Other important persons involved with this impressive acquisition were Pillow Lee, who found the merry-go-round and persuaded the All Hallows Guild Board to purchase it and Joyce Hanks, All Hallows Guild Carousel Chairman who made the restoration a reality.  The carousel is operated once a year at Flower Mart in the spring.

 

Additional Information:

Final Carousel Dedication Program (pdf)

"Carousel History" Herald April 2000, by Peggy Pickard (pdf)

Photos of Our Carousel on The National Carousel Association Website

Listing of Carousel Donors and their Animals (Herald, 2000)

 

See photos of our Carousel


Home | About AHG | Contact Us | Directions
Copyright © 2012 All Hallows Guild of Washington National Cathedral. All Rights Reserved.