About AHG | Contact Us
  Home Gifts & Accessories History & Herb Cottage Photos Special Events Contact Us - Directions - Parking Herb Cottage Home
 

 

History & Herb Cottage Photos

Herb Cottage History (pdf)

The Old Baptistry (pdf)

For a recent photo album of the Herb Cottage interior and  inventory, visit the Photo Garden Bee »

 

A Timeline for the Herb Cottage

  • In 1904, the Cottage was completely built  and being used as the Baptistry for the not yet completed Cathedral.  It is one of the oldest buildings on the  Close. It fell into disuse some years after the cornerstone for the Cathedral was laid in 1907.  

  • AHG started using it about 1916, but only as a place  to store plants and seedlings which they sold to raise funds for the gardens.  World War I curtailed some activity but in 1934 the Guild was asked to  become custodian of the Cottage. It was named The Herb Cottage because AHG sold herbs  from the herb garden adjacent to the building. By then it was 30 years  old.
     
  • In 1956, renovation on the interior was  performed. Again, in 1978, more renovation was done.
     
  • In the 1960's, "Baby Pan" appeared at  Cottage entryway - a gift from the Faulkner family.

  • In 1997, Horsey and Thorpe Architects  restored the building, leaded-glass windows were fully revealed and skylight  roof repaired, made possible by a generous bequest from Phyllis Nitze, former  AHG member, Read More>>
     
  • In 1999, restoration of the front entrance  - a gift from Board member, McCall Revercomb in memory of  her husband,  Judge George Revercomb.  

  • November, 2004, Cottage building was 100  years old. Bishop John B. Chane blessed the Cottage in a small ceremony  following the Annual Meeting.
  • September, 2011, a crane working to repair earthquake damage to the Cathedral, fell on the Cottage severely damaging it.  The Herb Cottage on South Road has been closed since that time, but was temporarily re-located on the B-2 level of the parking garage and remains open there today.  To view pictures of the fallen crane, click here>>

 The picture at right shows the Herb Cottage shelves in 1934.  Also, used at that time for display purposes were antique furniture pieces.  Photo from Cathedral Age.

 
1997, celebrating restoration of the Cottage.  Jane Battle, Project Chair

                                1907



Home | About AHG | Contact Us | Directions
Copyright © 2010 All Hallows Guild of Washington National Cathedral. All Rights Reserved.